Student Visa (Subclass 500)

If you’re looking to study in Australia, you’re probably in the middle of planning and researching your exciting adventure ahead!


Do I need a Student visa (Subclass 500)?

Don’t worry if you’re not sure where to start, that’s why we’re here to help.

You can apply for a Student visa (subclass 500) that will allow you to stay in Australia for up to 5 years and in line with your course enrolment. The cost is from AUD 710.00, unless you don’t need to pay this.

There is also a training visa for workplace training related for employees and you can find out more information about it the Training visa (subclass 407) here. 

Remember if your parent or guardian is going to Australia with you, they will need to apply for a visa and you can find out all you need to know about the Student Guardian visa (subclass 590 ) here. 

How long will it take for my application to be processed?

You can use this handy Visa Processing Time tool which will show the processing times for recently decided applications. Please remember, this is only a helpful guide and not specific to your Student visa application.

What can I do with his Student visa (subclass 500)?
  • study a course in Australia, but, make sure to check your course is accepted for this visa.
  • travel in and out of Australia.
  • work up to 48 hours a fortnight whilst studying for your course.
What do I need to apply for this visa?
  • apply online in or outside of Australia.
  • be enrolled in a course of study in Australia.
  • hold Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC), or fall in one of the exemption categories
  • be 6 years or older.
  • prove you have a welfare arrangement, if you are under 18. Find out how to do this, here.

If you’re currently in Australia, make sure you have an eligible substantive visa, otherwise, you won’t be able to apply for this Student visa (subclass 500). 

If you don’t currently have this, you’ll need to apply within 28 days of:

  • holding a Student visa, a Special Purpose visa, or a dependent Diplomatic (temporary) visa or
  • being told by the Tribunal that your visa cancellation has been set aside.

Find out more about having an appropriate Substantive visa, here.

Am I able to bring my partner and children with me?
It may be possible to bring your partner, children and any other dependants with you on your travels but there are a few things required, you can check these, here.
Last updated 15 May 2024