How do I get a business visa if I’m self-employed?

If you’re self-employed and you want to start or take part in a commercial, industrial, artisanal or agricultural activity or you’re hoping to work for yourself in France, you will need to apply for a long-stay visa (the same as a VLS/TS) residence permit.

This business visa will be valid for a year, so long as you apply for your visa validation within the 15 days following your arrival in France. 

Once you’ve arrived, it’s important to carry out all of the formalities needed to allow you to work in the country.


What do I need to do if I’m a private medical practitioner?

In this situation, you’ll need to make sure your:

  • nationality is listed in the nationalities able to practice medicine in France (pdf) and here Germany; Austria; Belgium; Bulgaria; Cyprus; Denmark; Spain; Estonia; Finland; France; Greece; Hungary; Ireland; Italy; Latvia;  Lithuania; Luxembourg; Malta; Netherlands; Poland; Portugal; Romania; Slovakia; Slovenia; Czech Republic; United Kingdom; Sweden.
  • qualifications are in place
  • on the order of physicians and are registered

It’s important to remember to have completed anything necessary for the French authorities before you apply for your visa.

Following this, you will receive a long-stay visa that will need to be validated within 3 months of your arrival in the country.

You may find it easier to apply for a talent passport if your work will be helping France’s economy. This means you can stay for an initial 4 years and can be joined by your family (who will be issued with a residence permit allowing them to work within the same time period). 

Last updated 15 May 2024