If you’re planning a trip to Switzerland to study and explore, we’ve put together some useful student visa guidance to make the process simpler.

To study in Switzerland, you’ll first need to be accepted at an educational institution. You’ll be asked for proof of this when you come to apply for a student visa. 

Once you have this, you’ll either apply for a residence permit or submit a student visa application to the Swiss representation for your country of residence.


What types of visas can non-EU/EFTA students apply for?

If you plan to study a short course or a language programme for up to 90 days, you could apply for a short-term visa (Schengen visa). You can submit a short-term visa application online.

If you plan to study for a full-time degree over 90 days, you could apply for a long-term visa (National visa).

Last updated 15 May 2024