student visa

Are you planning to carry out your studies over in the UK and need a Student visa? It’s a good idea to start the application process as early as possible, so make sure it’s near the top of your ‘To Do List’.

student visitor

Should I apply for a Student visa?

To study in the UK, there are a few things you’ll need to qualify:

Please note, a Child Student visa may be a better option if you’re aged 16 or 17 and want to study at an independent school in the UK.

For your information, this Student visa has replaced the Tier 4 Student visa (General).


When should I start a visa application for a Student visa?

It’s a good idea to apply for your visa as early as you can. You’ll be able to apply for this visa either 3 or 6 months in advance, and this is based on whether you’re applying from inside or outside the UK:

I’ll be applying from outside the UK

In this case, you can apply for a visa as early as 6 months before you begin your course. And you’ll likely hear back within 3 weeks.

I’ll be applying from inside the UK

In this case, you can apply as early as 3 months before your course begins. Don’t forget, you’ll need to apply before your current visa expires.

Also, please note that within 28 days of your current visa expiring, your new course will need to start. In this instance, you’ll usually hear back within 8 weeks.

Can my partner and children join me?

There are a few things you’ll need to check first to find out if you’re able to bring your partner, children and any other dependants with you to the UK.

Last updated 15 May 2024