If you’re planning to travel to Germany for training or an internship, you might need a visa. This depends on your nationality or citizenship. 

Travellers coming from the Member States of the European Union, European Economic Area, or European Free Trade Area, won’t need a visa for training or an internship in Germany. 

This is slightly different if you’re from a country listed below. You won’t need a German internship/training visa, but within 2 weeks of arriving, you should apply for a Residence Permit with the Immigration Office in Germany. 

  • Canada
  • Japan
  • Israel
  • Australia
  • New Zealand
  • The United States
  • Korea

Not from any of the places mentioned above? You can apply for a visa if you want to do an internship or training programme in Germany. 



What type of visa do I need? 

There are a couple of options when it comes to which type of visa you’ll need. It depends on how long your internship or training programme will last.

  • If it’s less than 3 months long, you can apply for a type C visa, which is also known as a Schengen visa. 
  • If it’s more than 3 months, you could apply for a type D visa. You might also see this called the German National Visa. 

It’s worth noting that before applying for your visa, you’ll first need to get accepted for an internship or training programme in Germany. 

Last updated 15 May 2024