Do I need a student visa to study in Italy?

You will need a student visa to study abroad in Italy, especially if you’d need a tourist visa to travel to the Schengen Area. If you are from a country that is exempt from issuing Schengen visas for stays of 90 days or less, then you will only need a student travel visa if your study trip is due to last over 90 days.

How many types of student visas are there?

There is a general study visa and then 6 other types, these include visas for:

  • enrolling in an Italian university
  • attending a single university course
  • for post-graduate studies
  • taking part in an exchange and mobility program
  • traineeship and apprenticeship
  • vocational training

For understanding if you meet the requirements for each of these visas, you can visit the database of Visa for Italy.

Where can I find a list of grants I can take part in when I study abroad in Italy?

Every year, the Italian Government offers scholarships to those who want to study in Italy. A list of these can be found on the webpage, Awards granted by the Italian Government to Foreigners and Nationals living abroad as well as on the new portal ‘Study in Italy’ in the section ‘Scholarships’.

Last updated 15 May 2024