Academic Standard Visitor

Are you an academic excited to visit the UK? We’re here to offer help at every step of the visa application process. 


What if I’m from an academic institution overseas?

  • you’re able to take part in formal exchange arrangements with UK counterparts.
  • you can carry out your own research during a sabbatical.

What if I’m a senior doctor or dentist?

  • you’re also able to take part in research.
  • you’re able to teach (as long as it’s a temporary teaching job).
  • you’re able to undertake clinical practice (again, as long as it’s only a temporary position).

Please note, if your academic trip is due to last longer than 6 months, you’ll need to apply for a Standard Visitor visa, regardless of your nationality.

There are a few options available when it comes to applying for a Standard Visitor visa. You can:

  • apply for a Standard Visitor visa before you travel to the UK that lasts for up to 12 months. 
  • visit for up to 6 months and apply to stay longer when you’re in the UK. 

Can my partner and children visit the UK with me?

Yes, your partner and children can apply to stay with you for up to 12 months. As above, they can apply for a Standard Visitor visa in advance or, visit for 6 months and extend their stay once in the UK.


Last updated 15 May 2024